The Benefits of Circumcision
A Brief 'Snapshot' of Health Benefits + Reviews
The benefits of circumcision include:
• Decrease in physical problems involving a tight foreskin [Ohjimi et al., 1995].
• Lower incidence of inflammation of the head of the penis [Escala & Rickwood, 1989; Fakjian et al., 1990; Edwards, 1996e; Morris & Krieger, 2017].
• Reduced urinary tract infections: systematic review and meta-analysis [Morris & Wiswell, 2013].
• Fewer problems with erections, especially at puberty.
• Decrease in certain sexually transmitted infections (STIs) such as HIV, HPV, genital herpes, syphilis and other micro-organisms in men and their partner(s).
• Almost complete elimination of invasive penile cancer.
• Decrease in urological problems generally.
Besides the information contained in the present internet review, the reader can consult other reviews on the topic of circumcision and its benefits.
Reviews up to 2010 include: [American, 1989; Schoen, 1990; Lafferty et al., 1991; Russell, 1993; Australian, 1995; Fetus, 1996; Morris, 1999; Adelman & Joffe, 2004; Alanis & Lucidi, 2004; Schoen, 2005a; Short, 2006; Thomson et al., 2006; Morris, 2007a; Schoen, 2007e; Schoen, 2007d; Schoen, 2007c; World, 2008a; World, 2008b; Austin, 2009; Ben et al., 2009; Morris, 2009; Morris & Castellsague, 2010; Morris & Cox, 2010; Tobian et al. 2010].
Reviews and other key articles in more recent years include: [Cooper et al. 2010; Morris et al. 2012-2018; Bates et al. 2013; Cox et al. 2015; Rivin et al. 2016; Wachtel et al. 2016; Wamai et al. 2011, 2012, 2015)
The message all of these peer-reviewed publications convey is consistently a positive one.
The present extensive overview on this website brings together much of the key information in an easy to read format.
The benefits are different as the human male progresses through life. Each of these benefits will be now be reviewed in detail.